Monday 9 November 2009

Valencia day 3. 10th October


My third day in Valencia was a very busy day. First I decided to take a free walking tour which started at 12. These free walking tours are in so many cities and give you a snapshot of the main sights, which you can explore more in depth later if you wish. They are free, but encourage a tip at the end, that way you decide what to pay for it based on the quality of it. The tour was run by a few guys from Liverpool who had come here for a holiday and never left.
They showed us the main sights in the old part of Valencia. The Cathedral, they said boasts the ‘holy grail’ or cup from which Jesus drank at the last supper, as certified by the Catholic Church. There are also still the original city gates though most of the wall is no longer there. They also showed you some things you probably wouldn’t notice unless shown, such as this cheeky statue atop a church building, and this very small house. The entire old city was very pretty and had a variety of styles of architecture based on who were the dominant people there. I must admit I didn’t know a lot of Spanish history before the tour so found it all very interesting.







Following this tour, they were running a Tapas tour so I figured ‘Why not’ and went on it also. For 10 euros they took us to 4 different tapas restaurants. At each restaurant we got a drink for free and a Tapas dish (or two or three or four!). After the fourth place I was completely stuffed with great food (including some amazing seafood- which I had been missing out on in the UK) and also quite tipsy as I had been indulging on the Sangria. I met four nice people on this tour who also convinced me to join the Bar Crawl that night. Following the Tapas Tour I went back to the hostel and had a siesta, in preparation for the big night ahead. The Bar Crawl did not start until 11.30pm so a long night was in order. On the bar crawl we went to 3 bars, finishing at a nightclub. For 10 euros we were provided with free drinks and free entry to the nightclub. I spent my time with the guys from the tapas tour, Ed and Clare from Melbourne, Michael from Switzerland and ‘Mini’ from England. Us Aussies had a ball showing the others how to dance like a kangaroo and they thought we actually danced like that. It was a great night, and I eventually went back to my hostel at 5AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment